Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Why coil's wire would broke? Not brown

  1. #1
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have 2 symbiotic coils were repaired before I got. I wonder who broke it but the coil?s dome has no any damage. Who can avoid driver?s magnet to cut or solder it?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello!

    I used to repair them - the older Symbiotik diaphragm's lead wires usually break because the little beryllium leads fatigue where they curve down from the mounting ring toward the voice coil/diaphragm assembly.

    Once they break, they're never reliable again - better to replace them with Pascalite versions (if you need the power handling capacity) from Great Plains Audio.

    Tell Bill I sent you.

    Great Plains Audio's Homepage

  3. #3
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, TODD

    OIC, can I replace aluminium coils to instead ? Cause I know nothing about Pascalite coil. How it's sound? then how affect to the driver's sensitivity? Can I use Pascalite to replace for all 802 , 808 , 8ohms and 16 ohms ?

    Otherwise, how many kind of coils that Great Plains Audio avaliable ?

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi!

    To me, the aluminum sounds ever so slightly better in the extreme upper range, but most people can't hear the difference at all. The Pascalite diaphragm is constructed using a different version of aluminum alloy, and a special voice coil former made of aramid fibre that is much more resistant to heat damage than the Kraft paper formers used in the straight aluminum ones.

    If you play them hard, I would suggest the Pascalite diaphragms, without reservation. If, however, you are doing serious critical listening, I would recommend the aluminium ones.

    All of the 800 & 900 series Altec drivers can be retrofitted with either aluminum or Pascalite diaphragms. GPA's website has a cross-reference chart for you to determine what you need.

    Hope this helps!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Todd

    I think your suggestions are more helpful to me. I?m using A+B system with ultra high. So, I think I can easy to hear the difference in my system. Even in the blinding test. forums

    As you said that the Pascalite diaphragm can resistant to the heat damage. Then sounds near to the aluminum coil. There is more attractive. forums

    However, two kinds of coils I will also place an order. Cause sometimes I would play too rough and sometimes like to seriously to critical to the music. forums

    Thank you very much

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.